When You Don’t Live in One Place for Long

My life has been all over the place these past few years; since I moved to Halifax from Ottawa for university. Once I was there, my program had me moving around every four months to complete internships (a great program btw). Now top that off with an exchange to France and a month long backpacking trip. To give you an idea, in 2015 I lived in France for 4 months, Ottawa for 4 months, and Halifax for 4 months. So what has all this moving around taught me? Keep reading to find out!

whenyoudontliveinoneplaceforlong

1. Goodbyes become easier

Whether saying goodbye to old friends after visiting home, saying goodbye to new friends you meet while traveling, or parting ways with school friends when graduating … goodbyes become so common that you rarely shed a tear. It’s not that you don’t care about the people you are saying goodbye to, you just stop seeing it as a sad thing. A see you when I see you, versus a goodbye forever.

2. Hellos become easier

Especially from backpacking, you are perpetually meeting new people and making new friends. Social awkwardness becomes a thing of the past.

3. Less materialistic lifestyle

When you are constantly moving, the idea of packing up all your random shit every time becomes unbearable. So you toss, donate, or sell all the unnecessary items and save a hell lot of money not filling your home with bits and bobs or filling your closet with every new trend that appears on Kylie Jenner.

4. Packing becomes second nature

This applies to moving and travelling a lot. When you pack so often, you tend to know what you need instantly … or you just have a go-to packing list handy.

5. Short term thinking

Less than ideal situations become easier to deal with, because you realize it’ll never be a permanent issue. This means that if something is shitty, there’s always the next place to change things up! For example, boy drama wont take over your mind, as much, because you know you’ll be leaving soon (and no one seeks out long distance relationships). To make it even simpler (and less sad than that example, if you are a hopeless romantic), if you’re not that fond of the hostel you’re staying in, it’s not like you’ll be there for that long either! Suck it up. ;)

6. No solid friend group,

It’s harder to have a solid friend group when you aren’t around long (meaning a group of friends in which you are good friends with everyone in it). Of course you’d have a few solid friendships in each place, but they tend to be your source for hanging out with groups of people.

7. BUT you always have international friends to catch up with

You’ll cherish all the friendships you have scattered around the world. You may not see them often, but when you do it’s like no time has passed. Added bonus: a place to crash for free when you travel!

8. Adventure Awaits

Can’t avoid the cliche, but at least here’s a warning … When you move around, you constantly have an opportunity to change your life for the better! Take risks, there’s a higher return on the reward.

All this being said, I am not seeking out a life where I will never have a place to actually call home, but I’ve really appreciated how I’ve grown as a person from these experiences. With a 2 year visa to live in the UK, this will be the longest stint of living somewhere that I’ll experience since university began. Luckily, the move is to London, my dream city. Now let’s hope I don’t get stir crazy!

Advertisements

38 thoughts on “When You Don’t Live in One Place for Long

1. hmunro says:

What a fantastic list, Samantha! You’ve summed up beautifully why I wish *everyone* had the opportunity to take a year (or five) for random travel. You learn so much about other cultures and people in the process — and about yourself, as you so clearly have.

I’m already looking forward to your adventures in London! (And I’m really not worried on your behalf that you’ll get stir-crazy. ;) )

Liked by 1 person

2. rebbit7 says:

Love this post! I can relate to all of the points you mentioned. Packing has really become second-nature to me; sometimes, I don’t even unpack my stuff, and just go off on my next adventure with the same things from the last! True, friends are harder to keep in touch with while abroad, but they tend to be more long-lasting, especially if you go without seeing each other for months and reunite later down the line! I’m in the process of returning to Europe long-term, and I wish you the best with your adventures in the UK!

Liked by 1 person

• Samantha Faloon says:

Haha ya I kind of do that too, especially with my toiletries bag, since it’s all travel sized stuff I don’t used them at home.

I agree about long distance friends, when you reconnect there’s more to talk about and it feels like no time has passed friendship wise.

Liked by 1 person

3. catwalkcattravelstheglobe says:

Love this post, can relate to most points.. except for finding packing easy! I’m a nightmare with it, always have been… and probably always will be! So great you’re moving to the UK, that’s my home.. contact me if you’re ever stuck/need advice etc, I’d be happy to help! Good luck with it all!

Liked by 1 person

4. gringitakrista says:

very true! I’ve been wanting to write about this as well. The pros and cons of constantly moving. There are lots of amazing things, but sometimes its also really glamorized when there are lots of tough times, serious risks, and things you’re giving up on by constantly leaving.

Liked by 1 person

5. thesweatergiraffe says:

I love this article! [And your blog, it’s just so clean and beautiful.] The bit about friendships in particular is something that resonates with me quite a bit!
    London sounds incredible, and I wish you the best of luck!

Liked by 1 person

6. janeburnett says:

Well done on articulating this so well. Although I’m guessing I’m double your age, I too have moved a lot and can relate to your experiences. I think as one gets older the lack of a solid friend group becomes more of an issue but the adventure aspect is still exciting. All the best.

Liked by 1 person

7. shopgirlanonymous says:

I used to be a traveling manager, which meant I had tops, two months in any one location. I loved it, but it could grow very lonely. The adventure though I knew was temporary and so I embraced it, and now, like you said, I have connections all over the US so that wherever I find myself in my travels there is someone to reconnect with and help with a more immersive experience. :D

Liked by 1 person

8. keepcalmitsonlylife says:

That’s quite the journey. I’ve been in Halifax since 2010 and I’m itching to leave lol. Sometimes I feel like the friend issue would be the most difficult after a while, but it sounds like you’re used to up-and-go lifestyle

Liked by 1 person

• Samantha Faloon says:

I understand, it does get tiring. But you just have to keep putting yourself out there and you really do appreciate all the people you meet along the way …. no matter how long they are in your life for!