Where Should I Move After Graduation?

As of April 2016 I will have graduated university, completing my Bachelors Degree in Commerce, and will be ready to start my next adventure. The big question is … Where? Now before you start commenting “Didn’t you just write a whole love story about wanting to move to New York City??” well, moving there isn’t as easy as it seems. I’m Canadian so I also have to deal with getting a job, a visa, and sponsorship … let alone enough money to afford an apartment there. I will move there one day but I’m considering starting off somewhere else, earning enough money and the means to get a good job there first. It still made my list but when it comes to graduation, where I move ultimately depends on where I get a job. So here are my options (aka cities I’ll be applying for jobs in) – all of which I’ve visited at least once.

Where should I move after graduation?

New York City

This has always been my dream city to live in (for all the reasons, read this post) BUT my image of living there was always a successful one; a nice apartment all to myself, enough money to enjoy the luxuries I currently enjoy and more, and a job I’m passionate about. Sadly, a recent grad moving to NYC does not experience that lifestyle – not without a hefty trust fund or Daddy to get you an executive position right off the bat.

Chicago

The “Canadian New York”, as I like to call it. It’s New York with fresh air! The city is absolutely beautiful and has a lively character that I look for. I had the best time visiting Chicago with my friend back in 2012 and I can’t wait to visit again. It’s a busy city, yet one that I can also image settling down in. Plus, how nice is it to be right by the water?? I’ll need a sail boat, obviously. Only con: the damn winters! I may be Canadian but that doesn’t mean I like the cold! Winters are bad enough without harsh winds.

London

This city was always Dream#2 for me. British culture transfixed me from a young age. Most of my favourite movies were made by/starred Brits (Bridget Jones’ Diary, Notting Hill, Love Actually, Shakespeare in Love, …). I could go on about my love for all things British but that deserves a separate post … maybe Reasons I Want to Move to London? ;) Of course, London is NO cheaper than New York, in fact the exchange rate to CAD is awful! But I figure I’d be getting paid in pounds. I’d need to be sure that I have a good enough starting salary. I’d pick London over NYC at first because it’d be a temporary thing – more for the cultural experience. Also, being in Europe, travelling around would be a breeze! Just thinking about that gets me giddy! Day trips to Paris, long weekends in Italy, … I’d stay in hostels so it’d be afforable. If I stay, it’d be because I fell in love with a wonderful British man, aka Dream#3 ;) … I’ve noticed there’s been many winky-faces in this paragraph, more than usual at least – the Brits are cheeky so let’s just say I’m practicing!

Toronto

Back to Canada! Toronto would be an easy choice because there’s no complicated paperwork/visa to worry about (other than my credit-card spending) and I know people who live there. I’ve never been to keen on Toronto for some reason, but I feel like it’s a step towards New York. If I work for a company that also has a location in NYC, maybe I could transfer. It’s the closest city to New York that Canada has to offer (lifestyle wise). Who knows, maybe I’ll love it so much that I end up staying!

Vancouver

If I’m ‘stuck’ living in Canada, Vancouver would be my second option. It’s one of the biggest cities in Canada, yet has so much nature (mountains, forests, ocean). Also, my brother lives there. He moved to Vancouver years ago and claimed he’s never coming back. He LOVES it. The only thing is I don’t know if its the right place for me. I need a faster paced city!

If you could start a career in any city what would it be? Let me know in the comments!

Advertisements

33 thoughts on “Where Should I Move After Graduation?

1. Bulldog Travels says:

They all seem like wonderful options! Go where the best job is and/or where you think you would most regret not living. In other words where when you were 80 would you sit back and regret never giving it a shot. Good luck. Can’t wait to see where you wind up.

Liked by 1 person

2. anhistorianabouttown says:

I absolutely adore London, but as someone who lived in Europe for a year, I would recommend living in Canada for a while, saving absolutely everything, and then moving in 2-3 years when you have a good basis! London, New York, and Chicago will all be there in 2017/2018, and you won’t have financially ruined yourself to do it! Also, as someone who lives in Winnipeg, Toronto and Vancouver aren’t all that bad ;) Toronto would have the benefit of being close to New York for trips, as well! I am saving to move permanently as well, so I definitely understand where you are at!

Liked by 2 people

3. dangerboyandpixie says:

I’ll give you the same advice I gave both my daughters: If not NYC, the Pacific Northwest. My daughter’s boyfriend was recruied right of of college to work in SF, where the rent may be horrendous, but it comes with six figure incomes. Having lived in Chicago, worked in Toronto, I’d pick Vancouver over Toronto any day.

Liked by 1 person

4. Amanda Afield says:

I guess for me it’s more of “where should we move after England”, but I’m think maybe the pacific north west, Seattle or Portland. Or maybe Boston…it’s too hard to decide.

5. A Wandering Memory says:

hey … I would recommend London – only as you already live in Canada and Vancouver would be my second choice.. London gives you a huge amount of possibilities and the whole of Europe at your finger tips – places like Iceland, France, Spain, Germany, Norway, Sotland and Ireland -all very close and easily accessible.London itself is full of history and great adventures – places like Bath, Brighton – check out my Americans out of the box blog recently done too – know your not American but may help with decisions.

6. Mariana says:

Hi Samantha, just discovered your blog and is awesome! I love London but they have recently changed their immigration policies. I had a permanent residence, but for every immigrant from outside the EU that didn’t, they said from last June that they could face deportation unless they earned more than £35K a year. Important fact if you’re thinking of moving to a new country! Hope this helped x

7. tiffybelle5 says:

My advice would be to job search first, see your options and then decide. Job market is pretty rough so definitely make sure you have a job. You might want to start in Canada and save up and then make the big move though. Good Luck!! :)

8. The Travelling Affair says:

Vancouver is an amazing city but compared to all the other cities you posted, you definitely won’t get the same fast paced vibe that you find in east coast cities. Even still, there’s so many other things about Vancouver that make it easy to fall in love with. As much as I love travelling and every city I go to, Vancouver will always be my number one city! Although.. my obsession with NYC sometimes makes me feel like I’m betraying Vancouver haha

9. Meredith Newman says:

Glad you stumbled upon my blog so I could stumble upon yours!! Have you thought about putting the career on hold and teaching English abroad? I graduated last spring and decided to move to Spain to teach English. While I worry about not directly working towards my career, I think this experience could be what sets me apart when I do get a “real job” in the future. Plus I love it and it’s letting me cross off places on my bucket list (casually going to Morocco for a long weekend Friday, which would never happen had I stayed in the US)! Just an idea :) PS love your blog, look forward to reading more!

Liked by 1 person

• Samantha Faloon says:

I would love to do that, I’ve also considered applying to be an au pair. When you teach english abroad, is it really difficult if you don’t know the local language? Sadly, I’m not advanced in a second language yet!

And thank you! :) I look forward to reading more from you as well!

• Meredith Newman says:

I’m au pairing this summer, but I’m expecting it to be a really different experience. Like, now it’s like I live on my own and have a job, which feels like a more.. “successful” post grad life? But with the language thing, as long as the program doesn’t have language requirements (or in the case of Spain, there is one but they literally don’t care so they don’t check anything) you can get by. And with my program, it doesn’t start until October so you would have plenty of time to learn the basics, which is enough to get by! If you’re interested, I can send you the info and help with whatever. The application is open now and placement goes by application number so it’s kind of time sensitive, but also not. Basically the sooner you apply, the sooner you find out this summer. There are also programs in France, Switzerland, and a few other places. And Asia, but you seem to be like me with the Eurobsession. Sorry for the novel..

Liked by 1 person

• Samantha Faloon says:

Ya, I think teaching would be more my style since I’d get to live independently and not with a family! lol But that’s really good to know! I would love to know the program you applied to! I’m applying to many jobs but it’d be nice to have a more adventurous option (rather only than 9-5 desk jobs). & I would probably go to a french speaking country since that’s the second language I’ve been working on this past year!

• Meredith Newman says:

I tried to find this website or post on my program’s Facebook page with programs in France and Switzerland but no luck.. My program is called Auxiliares de Conversacion. I would just google English teaching opportunities in France, Switzerland, other French-speaking countries, and see what you find! And if I come across what I’m thinking of, I’ll send it your way. But whatever you decide to do, good luck! :)

Liked by 1 person

10. DaninMCI says:

Seems like I’m late to the party on the advice your getting but I’ll give you my 5 cents.

NYC is great but… very expensive and I feel like it’s much more dirty than some of the other cities on your list. Of course it depends on where you live. NYC is awesome for travel because of the airport hubs and you don’t have the high air passenger taxes like you do in London.

Chicago is nicer to live in than NYC and cheaper (although not cheap). Winter can be bad in Chicago but it’s not much worse than NYC usually. Chicago is also a great hub for air travel. It also still has the great benefits of mass transit like NYC and the job market is good. In addition there is plenty of things to do in Chicago like NYC.

London. Expensive, Expensive. Good airport hub but air passenger taxes are high and British Airways is kinda average overall. Easy to get into Europe which is the main advantage. If I spoke French I’d pick Paris over London and I’m not that big of a fan of Paris. Paris is cheaper I think. The weather is nicer in Paris. Cost of living is high but you can find cheaper places to live in Paris I think.

Can’t help you with the Canadian cities. I would urge you to check out San Francisco, Rome and Hong Kong.

Remember no place is perfect and the grass isn’t always greener. A job in travel would be a good choice. If it was me I would pray about it and do it while your young. It’s way easier.